Earthwise Beauty Imhotep's Balsam Face Mask
Brand: Earthwise Beauty
Or make 4 interest-free payments* of
with More info.
* Available for total spend over $80
Reparative mask for all skin types
› For all skin types, especially dry, sensitive, compromised, or with eczema, psoriasis, facial neuralgia, and perioral dermatitis.
The Earthwise Beauty(EWB) skincare line is often about getting a sense of a faraway land: Ethiopia, Brazil, the Bulgarian countryside. The Imhotep's Balsam transports you to Ancient Egypt. This mask is named after Imhotep, a prominent historical figure who served as Pharaoh Djoser's chancellor. Imhotep's legend grew for centuries after his death and transformed over time, and eventually he was mysteriously elevated to the position of god of medicine and healing by the Ancient Egyptians.
EWB restorative face mask was designed to feel like a reparative balm, a Nile Delta mud medicine, a fragrant compress made of roots, barks, and freshly crushed elemi resin tears.
Imhotep's Balsam smells of many things: ginger-like plai, smokey and lemony elemi, sweet marshmallow roots, honey-like chamomile flowers, and Moroccan cedars. It is a surprising scent that is grounding and easy to wear on the face during a mask session—it doesn't shout or tire out the senses.
Imhotep's Balsam is a finely milled powder mask that turns into a pleasantly sticky, easy-to-spread, comforting roots-and-herbs paste once you add water. The powder is a blend of laboriously ground Hawaiian alaea salt, nourishing chickweed, and redness-calming chamomile flowers, plus soothing and hydrating mucilage-rich roots of marshmallow and comfrey, brightening licorice, and more. This is a moisture-replenishing, barrier repairing, deeply conditioning mask for all skin types, especially dry, imbalanced, stressed, or with a compromised skin barrier.
Here are highlights about a few key ingredients:
- Birch bark: The bark of white birch, also known as peeling birch, has been known in Poland since pagan days as the herb to use if one wants beautiful, bright, healthy skin and strong, abundant hair. The sustainably obtained, dried, and milled bark has a characteristically invigorating scent reminiscent of wintergreen. Birch bark contains a high concentration of betulinic acid, which has been studied for its stimulating effect on collagen synthesis and for its elastase-inhibiting properties, making it an outstanding ingredient for the care of mature skin concerns such as wrinkles and skin sagging.
- Astragalus root: This spleen qi tonic and immune-supporting herb in Traditional Chinese Medicine has a special affinity for the skin. People who consume astragalus as part of their herbal regimen often notice an improvement to the clarity, texture, and moisture level of their skin.
- Marshmallow root: Mature roots are rich in mucilage with soothing, softening, hydrating properties. American herbalist Matthew Wood recommends marshmallow root for breaking up hardened tissue.
- Licorice root: This root is an ingredient in most classic herbal formulas in Traditional Chinese Medicine. One of its properties is that it makes other herbs work better. In cosmetic science, licorice has come to be known as a skin lightening ingredient for addressing brown spots and sun spots.
- Chickweed: This ubiquitous herb is considered a nutritional powerhouse (it is a favorite of the American folk herbalist Susun Weed, who recommends eating it daily in salads). Chickweed improves skin moisture levels, reduces surface redness, and alleviates itching.
- Comfrey root: The comfrey plant, especially the roots, is rich in allantoin, which is a well-established, reliable cosmetic ingredient with moisture-retention, protective, and soothing properties. In Western herbal tradition, comfrey is thought to be particularly regenerative and useful when working on scars. Comfrey is an excellent ingredient to alleviate dry skin and has balancing properties for eczema and psoriasis.
- Plai: This plant from the Zingerberaceae plant family (the same family as ginger and turmeric) grows in abundance in Thailand, Cambodia, and Malaysia, among other countries. It has been studied for its analgesic (pain-reducing), antibacterial, and antioxidant properties. Unlike ginger and turmeric, which are warming, plai is cooling. Its scent is spicy, cool, uniquely rich—unforgettable! EWB is using wild plai essential oil in Imhotep's Balsam in part because it is a very sustainable ingredient (plai is an invasive plant in many countries), and because it can be helpful for painful conditions including facial neuralgia and some types of acne blemishes.
- Elemi: This resin comes from the tree Canarium luzonicum, which belongs to the same family as frankincense, and is thought to have wound-mending properties. Filipino women have traditionally used elemi to ensure youthful-looking, supple skin.
If you are wondering which face mask is the right choice for you:
- Imhotep's Balsam is a hydrating and nourishing mask with a scent that is evocative of mystical temples and a cedar forest. It doesn't contain clay. This mask is particularly recommended for dry or sensitive skin.
- Catharsis has a cooling, energizing, refreshing pick-me-up effect on the senses, also doesn't contain clay, and is particularly beneficial for acne-prone, scarred, pigmented, or inflamed skin.
- Sungod is a rejuvenative mask based on wildflower pollen and several reparative herbs such as calendula and sunflower petals. This mask is particularly recommended for signs of premature aging and for dull or mature skin.
All skin types, especially dry, sensitive, compromised, or with eczema, psoriasis, facial neuralgia, and perioral dermatitis.
Measure out 1 teaspoon of the powder and mix with just enough water to achieve a workable, moist paste. Apply onto freshly washed, towel-dried skin and leave on for 30 minutes. Mist with a hydrosol or face toner while wearing the mask. Remove with cotton rounds or a wetted face towel.
For an even more nurturing mask, add 1 to 4 drops of a facial oil or oil-based serum to the paste, such as Magical Babassu Face Oil or Ruby Face Oil. Replace the water with Cistus and Moonlight Face Mist for yet another variation and an interesting scent twist.
Full size 32 g/50 ml jar (1.1 oz); travel/sample size 4.2 g/5 ml jar (0.15 oz). Assuming you use 1 teaspoon of the mask per session, you may expect to get 10 lush mask sessions from the full-size jar. Expect to use up your entire travel/sample size for one mask session. Avoid inhaling the powder.
EWB's small-batch, organic skincare is based on alive, unrefined, plant-based ingredients. EWB products are properly and adequately preserved with high-end natural cosmetic preservatives, but they are not overloaded with them. So, here is our suggestion:
- Order only as much skincare at a time as you hope to use within 3 - 6 months
- Store the skincare products you use daily or almost daily at room temperature (even better if you are willing to store them in the refrigerator for up to 3 months)
- To avoid microbial contamination, reach into the jars with freshly cleaned, dry hands or use a clean, thoroughly dry scoop. Always close the lids and caps tightly.
- Protect all products from excessive heat. Shake the closed bottles periodically to mix.
Aloe barbadensis leaf powder*, Sodium chloride (red alaea salt)†, Matricaria recutita (chamomile) buds (organic or *), Althaea officinalis (marshmallow) root (organic or *), Stellaria media (chickweed) leaf and stem (organic or *), Astragalus membranaceus root (certified organic whenever available), Betula lenta (paper birch) bark (* or †), Glycyrrhiza glabra (licorice) root*, Symphytum officinale (comfrey) root (organic or *), Cedrus atlantica (Atlas cedar) extract†, Canarium luzonicum (elemi) resin essential oil†, Zingiber cassumunar Roxb. (plai) essential oil†.
*Certified organic. †Responsibly wildcrafted.
Certified cruelty free, vegan, handcrafted, small batch. Gluten free.
Australia Post may be experiencing delays to some areas due to the impact of COVID-19 as a result of limited flights and increased volumes.
Thank you for your understanding and patience during these challenging times for our postal services.
For a priority delivery option, please select Express Post at checkout.
Currently, we are not accepting international orders except for New Zealand.
For Australia, we offer both standard and express post options with Australia Post. We dispatch within 1 business day from our Melbourne store.
› AU STANDARD POST
- Approx. 2 - 6 business days depending on location in Australia
- FREE standard shipping on all orders over $80 (FREE express shipping over $150)
- Flat rate standard shipping of $8.95 for orders under $80
› AU EXPRESS POST
- Approx. 1 - 2 business days depending on location in Australia
- FREE express shipping on all orders over $150
- For orders between $80 - $149.99, upgrade to Express Post for just $3.00
- For orders under $80, express shipping is $11.95
- Not available for nail polishes/removers and perfumes - flammable by air
Currently, we are not accepting international orders except for New Zealand.
We want you to love our products as much as we do! If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, please contact us. We are here to help and your happiness is our priority!
We always aim to provide the best online shopping experience. In the rare case that you wish to return the product for any reason, we will happily refund the purchase in line with our returns policy below:
- You must contact our customer service team within 30 days of receipt of product to authorise a return. Please click HERE to contact us.
- Products you wish to return must be unopened and in original condition.
Once we receive and successfully review the returned products, we will refund you the original purchase price of product returned. We will also refund you the shipping cost of the initial delivery to you if the goods were faulty, damaged or incorrectly shipped.
For more details, please click on the button below.