Earthwise Beauty Farizad's Veil Sun Reflector
Brand: Earthwise Beauty
Or make 4 interest-free payments* of
with More info.
* Available for total spend over $80
Multitasking powder booster to mix with oils and balms
› For all skin types, including acne-prone, combination, sensitive, and mature.
› Completely Vegan
Farizad's Veil is Ava's (the founder of Earthwise Beauty) take on a sun shield formula for the contemporary woman: luxurious, non-pore-clogging, light, breathable, flexible, and with a beautiful, sophisticated natural scent. It is a liberation of sun protection from its typically oily carrier medium. Since most of us have a carefully researched and tested skin care ritual for our skin type, we don't want to add a layer of sunscreen cream into the mix, which could clog the pores or feel unbreathable or heavy.
With Farizad's Veil, you use your own beloved daytime facial oil and add just a bit of Farizad's Veil powder to it. It mixes right in and offers a range of protection options depending on how much of the powder you use, without inadvertently adding anything undesirable.
The fragrance, product name and label design were inspired by Farizad, a heroine from Arabian Nights. Determined, a believer in destiny and in her intuition's voice, Farizad had the smile of the rose and cried real pearls!
The sun protective ingredient here is highest-grade, minimally processed non-nano and uncoated zinc oxide (particle size 325 nm), which is the healthiest, safest, and most reliable sun shield ingredient available today (the only other nontoxic option is titanium dioxide, but it does not offer full-spectrum UV protection; all other sun protection options are chemical compounds).
Nano particles are controversial and it remains to be proven whether they are safe for our health, and EWB specifically used uncoated zinc oxide as the most unrefined, most natural version (coated zinc oxide means that the particles have been coated with another substance).
Zinc oxide has so many advantages as a sun shield: it can be safely used around the eyes, and it is a physical sun reflector, so it works immediately after application and makes one feel (a little) cooler when in the sun. It is biodegradable and safe for coral reefs and other marine life (it settles on the sea floor without causing any harm or entering into chemical reactions).
There are several skin care benefits from zinc oxide itself, from anti-acne and anti-inflammatory action to protective and soothing properties. The anti-acne benefits only shine if you use zinc oxide in a noncomedogenic, acne-skin-appropriate facial oil or serum.
The second ingredient in Farizad's Veil is pure powdered aloe, which performs many functions here, from moisturizing, skin damage preventing, and skin damage correcting to cooling, repairing, and soothing. With how many skin care products do you get to wear the actual powdered herbs on your skin all day? That is a mask session in itself. The aloe also softens the stark white color of the zinc oxide, making it less-than-typically skin whitening.
Farizad’s Veil can be used all year long, not only to shield from the sun, but also to soothe skin irritations, reduce redness, speed healing of acne breakouts, and decrease hyperpigmentation.
The scent is very feminine yet assertive (reminiscent of a woman with confidence and trust in her inner guidance): Moroccan roses, precious and rare pink Indian champaca flower (with a tea and honey element), rose geranium, Madagascar geranium leaves, and a delicate frankincense that has an orange undertone and is not the masculine type, yet has an amber-like resin component. As with all EWB products, all the aroma components are fully disclosed in the ingredients list and are artisan-distilled, small-batch, therapeutic-grade essential oils and absolutes, organic or responsibly wildcrafted.
The fragrance will preserve well in the glass container for at least six months. If for any reason you would rather have an unscented powder, leave the jar for a few days with the lid off, just lightly covered with fabric or a paper towel to protect the product from dust.
For all skin types, including acne-prone, combination, sensitive, and mature.
1. Measure out a single-use amount of the powder (1/32 to 1/16 teaspoon) into a ceramic bowl and add from several drops to half a dropper of your favorite daytime face oil or oil-based serum.
2. Mix with your fingertips to create a thin, smooth lotion. Apply onto the skin, rubbing in gently with your fingertips to minimize the whitening effect and to distribute evenly.
3. Add extra drops of your oil directly onto your face if needed to achieve an even distribution. EWB especially recommends using Ruby Face Oil to mix with Farizad's Veil, as that oil is lightweight, sun-protective, fast-absorbing, and highly appropriate for daytime use in the summer.
Depending on the quantity used, EWB’s testing shows that Farizad's Veil provides sun protection roughly equal to a sunscreen with an SPF of 20 to 40 (the more powder used, the higher the sun protection).
› For a light-feel, “second-skin” type of sun-ray protector, mix Farizad’s Veil with a light, moisturizing face oil or oil-based serum. This sunscreen will work well mixed with any of Earthwise Beauty’s facial oils and with Ferns and Moss Face Serum. It should work with other brands’ moisturizers if they contain oils, but not with gels or gel-creams. Test a few different addition options and quantities to determine what works best for you. You may even mix Farizad’s Veil with your liquid foundation or tinted moisturizer. For a simple, noncomedogenic, and very pleasing result, try mixing with pure organic cold-press unrefined jojoba or argan oil.
› Since Farizad's Veil is a physical barrier, protecting the skin from external factors including the sun's rays, it doesn't matter whether you implement it in your moisturizer or makeup layer. Zinc oxide offers nice coverage and mattifying properties, so you may find you don't even need to use a foundation with Farizad's Veil.
There is a lot of controversy and often confusing information out there about the effectiveness of different types of sun shield ingredients. EWB takes your health and safety very seriously, and an extensive amount of research went into the making of the Farizad’s Veil formula. Avoid inhaling the powder.
EWB's small-batch, organic skincare is based on alive, unrefined, plant-based ingredients. EWB products are properly and adequately preserved with high-end natural cosmetic preservatives, but they are not overloaded with them. So, here is our suggestion:
- Order only as much skincare at a time as you hope to use within 3 - 6 months
- Store the skincare products you use daily or almost daily at room temperature (even better if you are willing to store them in the refrigerator for up to 3 months)
- To avoid microbial contamination, reach into the jars with freshly cleaned, dry hands or use a clean, thoroughly dry scoop. Always close the lids and caps tightly.
- Protect all products from excessive heat. Shake the closed bottles periodically to mix.
Non-nano uncoated zinc oxide 94% (Canada); Aloe barbadensis leaf powder*, Rosa centifolia (rose) absolute (Morocco; organic whenever available), pink Michelia champaca L. absolute (India)†, organic Pelargonium graveolens (geranium bourbon) oil (Madagascar), Pelargonium roseum (rose geranium) oil*, Boswellia sacra (frankincense) oil†.
*Certified organic. †Responsibly wildcrafted.
All absolutes are hexane free whenever available.
Certified cruelty free, vegan, handcrafted, small batch.
For Australia, we offer both standard and express post options with Australia Post. We dispatch within 1 business day from our Melbourne store.
› STANDARD POST
- Approx. 2 - 6 business days depending on location in Australia
- FREE standard shipping on all orders over $80
- Flat rate standard shipping of $8.95 for orders under $80
› EXPRESS POST
- Approx. 1 - 2 business days depending on location in Australia
- Upgrade to Express Post for just $3.00 ($11.95 total for orders under $80)
- Not available for nail polishes/removers and perfumes - flammable by air
› IN-STORE PICKUP (FREE)
- Available from our Melbourne CBD store for in-stock items during store hours.
- You will be contacted via email or SMS when your order is ready to collect.
We also ship world-wide. Please click on the button below for more details.
We want you to love our products as much as we do! If you are not completely satisfied with your purchase, please contact us. We are here to help and your happiness is our priority!
We always aim to provide the best online shopping experience. In the rare case that you wish to return the product for any reason, we will happily refund the purchase in line with our generous returns policy below:
- You must contact our customer service team within 30 days of receipt of product to authorise a return. Please click HERE to contact us.
- Products you wish to return must be unopened and in original condition.
Once we receive and successfully review the returned products, we will refund you the original purchase price of product returned. We will also refund you the shipping cost of the initial delivery to you if the goods were faulty, damaged or incorrectly shipped.
For more details, please click on the button below.
My favourite natural sunscreen. It does create a white cast on brown skin so my recommendation is to mix this with an amber coloured balm or oil. I like to use this with Tigress or Ferns and Moss.